On September 6, 1936, Oak Grove United Methodist Church was organized with 48 charter members. The organizational meeting was held in a new church built on land donated by the M.H. Crews Family. The Rev. Thomas O. Prewitt, pastor of Broad Street Methodist Church, presided over the meeting.
Members, with Mr. A.C. Lynde acting as church secretary, designated Rev. J. Melvin Jones, assistant pastor at Broad Street Methodist Church, as the first pastor of Oak Grove Methodist Church. Other elected offices were: J.J. Shelton, Sunday School Superintendent; E.A. Smith and C.M. Crews, Stewards; L.M. Howell, Trustee of Church Property; and Velma King, Church Conference Secretary.